Evans City is the name given in 1882 at the city’s incorporation of a borough of an old settlement. It is situated on Breakneck Creek. Its site was for a long time a favorite camping ground for the Indians, who named the creek Big Beaver run; while the French knew it as Casse-cou-anse or Breakneck creek,--a name adopted by travelers between Fort Duquesne and Fort Machault, and by the English speaking pioneers of the original township of Connoquenessing, Pennsylvania.
Evans City is conveniently located just two miles from Interstate 79 and Route 19, and 25 minutes from Interstates 279 and 80. The town officially changed its name in 1968 but actually originated in 1790 when Robert Boggs acquired property to start a grist mill. He christened the property Boggs Mill. Boggs sold the property and mill to Thomas Evans in 1836. Evans built a new mill and developed plans for a village which he named Evansburg.
When oil was discovered in 1915, it precipitated the growth of the little town. Although over drilling quickly depleted the oil supply, both the town and its businesses flourished. Even before Evansburg experienced such rapid growth, it had an important accoutrement, a post office. The original, built in 1837, was called Breakneck. In 1882, its name was changed to Evans City. Concurrently, Evansburg Boro was incorporated.
Today, Evans City has nearly 3,000 residents, most of whom share the same German heritage as the early settlers who came here. In honor of this ancestry, Evans City Chamber of Commerce has the Oktoberfest.